What will I learn?
The Tec 50 course completes your training as an entry-level Tec diver, taking you past the limits of recreational diving.
What will I be Doing on the Course?
you will do four training dives, theory and a final exam. The first dive will be in the swimming pool or limited Open Water depending on the conditions to a maximum of 10m to let you get used to the new equipment. Dive 2 will be to 24m, Dive three to 50m and Dive 4 to 50m using up to 100% O2 for accelerated decompression.
- PADI Tec 45 Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
- PADI Rescue Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
- Provide proof of training in CPR and First Aid within the previous two years
- At least 18 years old
- Have a minimum of 100 logged dives, of which
- 20 dives must be enriched air dives deeper than 18m
- At least 15 dives must be deeper than 30 meters – with or without Nitrox
- Have a medical statement signed by your physician
What will you be doing on the course?
- Make actual decompression dives as deep as 50 metres/165 feet
- Use enriched air Nitrox and/or pure oxygen for decompression
- Use desk top decompression software to create custom dive tables and plan your dives
- Qualify to make technical decompression dives independently
- Plan and execute your own missions
- You’ll use the same Tec Deep Diver Crewpak and discuss:
Unresponsive divers at depth
Tec pool diving…
How to broaden you limits
Introduction to trimix
The same Tec Deep Diver Crew-Pak which includes a manual, dive planning checklist and dive planning slate from the TEC 40 Course. The optional Equipment Set-up and Key Skills video on DVD is a great tool to help you practice at home in between your Tec diving adventures.
What gear will I need?
- Double cylinder of at least 12L each, with isolator manifold (the isolator manifold is not required for divers using sidemount configuration)
- Primary and secondary regulators for back mounted double manifolds, one with two meters hose and one with SPG
- Stage/decompression cylinder(s) (1 for Tec 45, 2 for Tec 50) with regulator and SPG, with proper labels/markings
- Tec diving BCD and harness (backmount or sidemount)
- Two multi gas enriched air capable dive computers, or one multi gas enriched air computer and back up single gas computer with dive tables, or one single gas enriched air computer and backup timer and depth gauge with dive tables
- Exposure suit appropriate for environment and dive duration
Weight system (if needed)
- Jon line (as needed for environment)
- Inflatable signal tube, whistle and or other visual and audible surface signaling devices
- Reel and lift bag (bright yellow preferred) or DSMB
- Knife/cutting device and back up
- Back up mask (optional)
- Lights (optional as required for dive environment)
- Backup buoyancy control (a lift bag/DSMB is not considered a reliable method of backup buoyancy control)
Your course fees are not buying you a certification. We do not include certification fees in our Technical Diving Course fees, for a very good reason: certification is not guaranteed. Technical diving, by its nature, is more complicated, and involves higher risk levels than recreational diving, and unlike some recreational diving courses, payment of fees does not imply automatic certification.
This does not mean that if, having completed the prescribed number of dives in the course outline that if you are unable to meet a required standard, you will be failed. We will do our utmost to get your skills and knowledge up to scratch, and if this means extra dives or academic sessions, then so be it.
Certification fee on all technical diving courses is R300.00. Please note: The course includes gasses but does not include technical equipment rental. For extras see below:
Prices for technical equipment rental (per day)
2 x back gas regulators – R150
1 x O2 Clean decompression regulator – R100
Scubapro Wing & harness configuration – R150
Three Gas Nitrox computer – R200
Digital depth & timer – R100
Reel & surface marker buoy (SMB) – R100
Twin 12 litre manifolds – R120
Twin 15 litre manifolds – R150
Stage Cylinder 5.5 Litre O2 Clean – R50
Stage Cylinder 11.2 Litre O2 Clean – R60
Nitrox fill up to 40%, Price depends on size of Cylinder – R70 – R90
Medical Grade Oxygen per litre – R0.16
Helium per litre – R0.50
Price: R4950.00 / Person
Icludes equipment, gases and dives excl. Crewpack as you would use the same Crewpack from Tec40